Nuffnang Ad

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Cheap but lousy, or expensive but high quality?

I'm suppose to spend less, why did I end up spending more?

I need to made new lens coz my current one got a big blob right in front of my left eye. So happen that Igard was having this free eye checkup and if you attend the checkup, you will receive an $80 voucher for making spec lens, in lieu with "Dry Eye Awareness". The promo sounds too good to be true right? Definitely there must be a catch! Cannot so good one what... So I got Jia to go too since she need a new spec too.

And...Bingo! There was a catch! When we receive the voucher, we scrutinize every letter every word we saw. There, it says "must be made with purchase with in-house specs frames". See? We have to buy the frames and frames usually can cost a bomb.

Whatever.

After we had our eye checkup (oh yeah, I have dry eyes, so cannot always wear contact lens. Must wear specs more often which I am already doing. Now feel like an old lady with so many ailments. kaoz.), we proceed to their optical shop at level 1.

Since I was quite prepared to fork out a good sum to do a good specs, I also made sure I'm getting the money worth. So when it comes to choosing frames, I want something non-slide on my nose coz I don't have a bloody nose bridge. And I also want a red frame coz I'm sianz with black and blue (I think blue is no longer my favourite color).

Anyway, the man who served us quite a lao beng, mu ha ha ha. He recommended this titanium membrane for me, which is flexible, can bend here bend there kind. I used to had one titanium frame, but the side support broke after too much bending, coz it did not have the screw. The frame he chose had screw and therefore, it is pretty much like a normal specs but with more flexibility. I like, =)

I was decisive, settled on this frame and colour, and he did not show me more than 3 frames.

It was real funny during the eye test for degree power, I couldn't quite make out the small words, usually the second column and last column. So when he fixed the power on this master specs (the specs that can slot in lots of lens,what is it called?), he was emphasizing that he would let me try this certain degree first, see if it would be better. Indeed, I could see clearly. Then he blurted out that the degree power was the same as my current specs! That stupid blob blocked my view lah.

Anyway, the specs costs me $350, after the $80 discount. It's been 3 or 4 years since I made such expensive spec, which the last one was that titanium frame lor, and I had a $150 voucher that time, courtesy of PZ, still it cost me about $150+ I think.

But, cost different, treatment and service also different. While I was so used to making $50 lens and a less than $50 frame, $350 is indeed a lot (lens cost $140 after discount).

Service I won't find at Chris (The optical shop I frequent)
  • ultra thin lens (my current lens suppose to be ultra thin but it is still bulky)
  • measuring the distance between my eyeball and centre of nose, for DP (aka cock eye distance, ha ha)
  • multicoat + anti-scratch + treatment (the treatment protects the multicoat, easier to wipe too)
  • telling me that the weight of the lens should not be concentrate in front, but spread evenly so that specs will not fall off from the nose (especially I have no nose bridge)
  • models of the different types of lens index. We did a 1.67.
  • a lot of other explainations

Lao beng sound very professional also, so it was quite a good exposure of visiting these rather expensive shops for us. The feeling is machiam getting my bra tailor fit.

If it was at Chris, it would be finished in 3 steps:

  1. "Uncle, I want to make specs"
  2. Test eye power
  3. Choose frame

And laughing at me if I wore an unsuitable specs and looked funny.

No comments: