Nuffnang Ad

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Penang Trip

Today is a Saturday, absolutely no reason for me not to blog... This blog is collecting spider eggs already.

Penang Trip - Day 1
I set off with Mum and Jia on the 17th May, 6am. Our bus was to leave at 7am at Hougang, yeap, I board the bus all the way to Penang.

Our first stop was at a JB (not to sure) coffee shop where I had my worst coffee ever, literally tasted like long-gao water mixed with ash. We had the breakfast with my gu-gu, godma and a auntie friend, not to eat too full coz we will be sitting all day long. The you char kway (you tiao) was very nice coz it very crunchy. We also had this Ye Zi Mei Da Bao, very huge very huge. Although I'm a fan of pork, but somehow I don't like to eat Da Bao, all I could say was, the skin was very soft, very nice. =D

The first day was a road trip on the Nan Bei Da Qiao (南北大桥), and toilet breaks all the way and lunch. When we finally reach Penang, we went to Kuan Zi Jiao (关仔角) and had dinner. It was an open coffee shop, so naturally the place was very packed and wet. We had the assam laksa, famous char kway tiao from cantonment street (yes, we travel all the way up north to eat char kway tiao from Singapore), fried oyster omelette (very very nice, even I who don't link to eat oyster had a few helpings ), and chendol. After dinner we went Gurney Plaza to window shop.

One thing to note, the chair and tables were made available by the drink stalls, hence you will have to order from them. A group of people ordered drinks from the stall A, but were sitting at Stall B's tables and chairs, so Vendor B rudely pushed those drinks to the table beside. So kei gao lor. But then, with so fierce competition, they have no choice I think.

A volunteer for some child charity also keep buzzing from table to table, mumbling "You don't have to donate, just listen will do" but ending up keep pestering us to donate. We didn't like his pushy attitude lor. Haiz... Really spoil the dinner.

Penang Trip - Day 2
The first stop was to a chocolate factory, yummy yum yum! So, how could I miss taking a picture right? There was a lot of variety of chocolates and while it came in small beautiful dainty packaging, it also came with a huge 1kg kind. Being typical Singaporean, most of us bought the 1kg one, even though we might take10 years to eat that much, but then, comparing to the beautiful tins that could be used to store things, we prefer to store the chocolate in our stomachs.
looking lovingly at the chocolate bits

2 shops away was a coffee boutique! Ooh.... I am so happy, after chocolate was coffee, both my favourites! The shop had a wide variety of coffee beans, but too bad, they came in just normal 25 packings kinds, I would love to lug another 1kg back. The shop was very quaint, with a trishaw with sacks of coffee beans. Tourists mah, of course must take pictures! Ha ha, 美中不足的是:umbrella too small lah!
All Mine!

Oh yah, there was samples for us to eat and drink, I tried the Macchiato, too bland for my liking. I still like the Nanyang flavour, gao gao with guni. Oh yah, kopi-o in Malaysia is rather sourish, hence do put milk if you do not like the sour taste.

After the coffee, we went to a tar sau pia outlet which sold many other things other than tar sau pia, hmm... didn't buy anything there, coz it was more of an auntie's haven. =D Jia was persuaded to test some ointment though.

I think after the food line-up, the tour guide thought it would be good to let us run wild relax in their botanical garden. As the saying goes: 外国的月亮比较圆, I must say 外国的猴子也比较凶。SG monkeys will still be a feet away from you, those Penang monkeys, all vying to get near to you and grab your food! Kids are always targeted, coz they usually armed themselves with ice-creams which offer no protection but attraction, those monkeys stole the ice-creams before you could even lick it.
Happy family

This monkey had a hairstyle like beckham's famous.

Licking it's trophy ice-cream

Rain came after we were there for less than 1/2 an hour, so we made our way to lunch before we visited this temple which was high high high up. After spending 1 hour climbing up there and squeezing in the inclination lift, we were treated to this:
Poor Guanyin

About the inclination lift, I was quite mad that they squeezed us like a can of sardines, really! I understand there was a long long queue, but then, squeezing us to the extent of Japan's bullet train? Come on, the lift doesn't stop working and it won't hurt for the people behind us to wait one more ride. Irksome, so never go holiday on public holidays.

We also went to a batik factory where Jia was once again being dragged to model their batik dress. Better spare her the humiliation by not loading the vid.

It was free and easy for us after dinner, hence Jia and I managed to walk by ourselves to a shopping mall. The aunties went back to their room to play blackjack after seeing nothing for 5 minutes. Jia bought shoes and jeans while I bought slippers, coz my brown slipper which I brought along actually snapped and I can't walk anymore in the white flats: too smelly.

Anyway anyway, we shopped for about 2 hours, quite a mad rush coz the mall was huge!

Penang Trip - Day 3
The last day was road trip back to SG, and we went to visit this temple in the midst of some veggie farm I think. We have to take our shoes off in the temple. I was behind Jia when we went inside to visit, and when I looked down, I pointed at her feet and laughed. Coz she was doing this:
Squirming FeetSquirming Feet


No no no, don't get me wrong I'm not laughing at her awkward feet, but because I was doing the same thing! It was really funny how similarly we reacted to the dusty floor.
My squirming feet

It was a long jam when we arrived at Tuas Checkpoint, coz many Singaporeans were out of SG during the long weekend. On the way back, there was a bus broke down, and the people in the bus had to walk to the custom, but they were not allowed to enter, coz they need to be in a bus! And they had no choice but to walk back and along the way, asked the buses to pick then up but many refused until they came to us. Quite poor things. And after we cleared the customs, I saw them being questioned. The Lebanese had wanted to lodge a complain and wanna take a photo of the officer who refused them entry. Oh my, this isn't about customer service leh! Jia and I both gave the "eyes" when that lady said she wanna complain.

The best part of the trip would be my winning in playing Bingo, which was to help us kill time. There was 1 Big prize, and 1 small prize. During the trip, I won 3 Big and 1 Small! Very Lucky! Won enough to cover the cost of my slippers.

No comments: