Nuffnang Ad

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Letting things go

*Jia commented that "letting things down" sounds like I did wrong to 'things'. Pardon my half-bucket Engrish.
I was sorting out some stuffs today, some really old stuffs that was kept for remembrance. As I dig them out, looking at my past, I realized I like to keep stuffs so that I will remember them. The ironical part was, their physical beings were left hidden for years, until I would take time out to clear and wipe the dust before I remembered that I kept them.

As I cleared the materials that were inside this big box which was once a box for Japanese cakes, there were watches, cute letter sets, bookmarks of Jimmy Lin, idol cards, photo album of Jimmy Lin, letters and newspaper cuttings of Jimmy Lin.

Needless to say, I was a huge fan of Jimmy Lin when I was between 7 -12.

I was really appalled at the huge amount of newspaper cuttings I had about him, from movie reviews, to gossips, to articles about him, I had 3 sets of plastic sheets filing them. Even if his name was just mentioned once in some other news, I cut it down. I remembered I had this idea of putting them into scrapbook when I have the time and money. Obviously, this idea was not fulfilled because I was becoming lazier. I was rather amazed at the determination I had in tracking his every single minute details. Of course, some articles were given by my old pen pals whom many of them were no longer in contact.

When I was 13, he came to Singapore to promote his album. Being 13, I thought I was old enough to travel to Marina Square already, since I was hanging out with my band friends at AMK every Saturday. No one would have thought, this "visit" marked the end of my obsession about him. Suddenly, I realized why was I crazy over someone who didn't know my existence. I started selling all the stuffs I have on him, some of which I had bought them after starving and saving the pocket money. I thought it would be just nice to collect his CDs and old albums.

Now years later, not only did I stop collecting his CDs (partly because he didn't release any too), I actually forgot that many years ago, he was my Prince Charming. So I wanted to throw all the newspaper cuttings away, but as I read them, sorting them, throwing them, I ended up putting them back, thinking "I'll throw them when I really sorted them, this is too vague".

There had been many stuffs which I had not wished to part with them, but as I think back, I couldn't recall what were them and were they that valuable to me. Even memories had the same share of treatment. Memories that were so bad that I had wished they never happened. As I recalled back, they weren't that bad after all.

It really depends how badly you want to hold on to it and letting it go isn't that difficult after all.
************************************************************

I was telling my Dad about my New Zealand Pick N Play, and he disapprove it, giving the reason "这种是骗小孩子去做苦工"。 But then I'm just a visa and air tix away already...

1 comment:

Angrylittleme said...

Hey that's so funny. I did the same thing with Jimmy's stuff when I was around 12 as well. reading your post is like walking down memories lane. I'm looking for his old cds.He's still cute though a little girlish for me now.