Nuffnang Ad

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sometimes, all we need to do is just open our bloody mouths and speak up!

When I was in secondary school, my Chinese teacher said that we Singaporeans were all rich people, coz we all have gold, inside our mouths. It was a sarcasm, because we were so afraid to speak up, as if gold would drop out if we opened the mouth.

Many times, I would hold all the grudges and complaints inside me, and blast them at some 3rd party like my colleagues. Cases such as people jumping queue, people bumping you, all we could was grudging the stupid fellow and complained to our friends, who would usually ask, "Why didn't you do this this this, that that that?" Why? Because we were afraid the other party would slam us back worse.

There was an occasion where a NSF cut my queue to the bus, you know, the railings in the interchange, he wasn't in it. And all I did was trying to see his name tag and wanted to complain to Mindef's appropriate channel. By the time I reached home, I totally forgot his name and anger was appeased already. However, today, I was feeling plucky. When I noticed that this NSF (not the same one) was about to cut my queue, I quickly raised my right hand to block him, and tell him "Please queue up".

I felt very shiok, and he did wait until he was behind the queue. I realized, many times, we do not have to "suffer in silence". If we are in the right and they are in the wrong, there's nothing to fear. Now I think back about my past, I'm really a wimp.

Not anymore.

No comments: