Nuffnang Ad

Monday, November 09, 2009

No money no problem or no money sure got problem?

Got news that a cousin a year my junior is getting married.

She an N' level grad, works as cashier. Her partner is a car mechanic.

This got me thinking.

I noticed (well, actually the govt did the stats too) that people with higher qualifications married at later age. It's like the more papers you have, the later you marry.

My theory is, because we used the time to study instead of pak tor, so we ended up dating later. So more papers qualification = more time spent = less time for dates.

Then, when you have higher qualifications, you have higher expectations, and this applies so exceptionally true for women. Maybe only 20% of the females I know don't have such criteria.

Another thought, we always felt that we need money to get marry, we need even more money for marriage life, worse if you have kids. My colleagues and I did some assumptions calculations, if we really scrimp, $3000 seems to be enough, but then is better if there's double income lah, more elastic when it comes to financial planning.

So, back to my cousin, I think their incomes add up to <$3000, so, what prompted them to marry? Why do they want to marry? The first image that came to my mind when I knew she's getting married was a scene of a mother nagging at the father of his low income while 3 kids are wailing on the floor. Heck, I don't even visualising romance at their proposal.

Kaoz, spinster thoughts at work again.

Anyway, I think higher qualification grads are planning too far ahead, assuming the problems that had yet to be real, and hence throwing away potential chances at their own love life. Well, it can't be helped, the higher education taught us to assume, plan ahead and avoid mistakes.

But for lower education, mistakes are meant to be learnt, so it's alright to make them. And thinking far ahead has never been their way of life, I mean, to put it bluntly, "I am only O'level grad, what can I do, at most cashier all my life". It's like they think in present tense only.

Seriously sometimes I think education screwed us badly, and backfire on gahmen's plan on more elites in the future. You know, more degree holders get married = more brainier kids? I see more divorce rates and angsty kids.

No comments: